Are you in a situation where by you have forgotten the secret password to CISCO’s 2600+ router and yet don’t want to lose your configuration, or your IT Guy who holds all the passwords to the routers woke up one morning and choose not to show up for reasons best known to himself, yet business has to continue as usual. Well, here is the quickest and easiest step by step guide to get you up and running without losing your configuration.
1. Boot the router (sorry you have to do this, I hope you implemented some redundancy in your network)
2. Interrupt the boot sequence by pressing crtl+c
3. To ignore the contents of Non-Volatile RAM or ignore configuration, do this:
rommon 1 > confreg 0x2142
4. Reset your router by typing reset at the ROMMON prompt, i.e.
rommon 2 > reset
5. The router reloads and asks if you want to use setup mode, because no startup-config is used.
Answer no, and press ENTER to go into user mode.
7. copy start run
8. config t
9. enable secret josh ("josh" will be your new password)
10. config-register 0x2102 (so that the router can boot from NVRAM on next boot)
11. copy run start
13. have fun
Find more information about the configuration register on these recommended sites: